We interviewed Ms. Sachiko Kimura from Tokyo.
August 27 Judo Fukuoka Kokusai Center
Ryoko Tamura actually looked smaller than she thought.
Universiade is making big headlines in Fukuoka but the write-up in Tokyo is quitelimited.
She expects the players to do their best and win first place.
Today's results and remarks
- Great cheers, applause, and camera flashes at each move players make.
- Ryoko Tamura's popurality is high judging from the number of banners and loud applause.
- Although staffwomen walk with "No Flash" signs, most spectators ignore them.
- Some high school students among the spectators have physique appropriate to be a Judo players.
- Athletes are enjoying eating take-out lunch for games.
- There are few Japanese judges. Yet commands given are in Japanese and this gives me a strange feeling.
- Behind the scene is an array of computers and the number of wires is really
- Those in charge of award wear gloves to handle medals and Kapapoo stuffed
<Women's Open-weight Division>
- In the semi-final, Noriko Anno gets yuukoo over her Chinese opponent and wins
the bout by decison.
- In the final, Anno wins by decision over her Polish adversary.
Many offensive moves she made probably earned this decision.
<Men's Open-weight Division>
- In the final, Katsuyuki Masuchi wins by ippon by kosotogake. He looks happy
while answering questions in the interview.
- The award ceremony. Seeing the Japanese flag at the top is quite moving.
- In repechage, Kenichi Harada wins by decision over the AZE player.
- In the match for third place, Harada wins by decision.
- In the semifinal, Ryoko Tamura wins by ippon by haraigoshi. Nice going towards
the gold medal.
- Ryoko Tamura at rest listening to a Walkman.
- In the final, Ryoko Tamura wins by ippongachi by haraigoshi. She wins all
bouts by ippon.
- Ryoko Tamura makes her exit after an inteview.
Back to Today's Topics page
Back to home page